The town grew from a collection of farms to a community of small business, such as a quarry, blacksmith shop, mill, iron smelter, and pig farm. Until about 1950, the population was still small. Then, following World War II, returning war veterans looking for a good place to live began to move out from Cleveland and North Olmsted grew rapidly. The town was largely agricultural until about the 1960’s. Commercial building began to serve the new inhabitants who wanted a nearby place to shop. New schools were built to accommodate all of the new families with children. Today with a population of about 32,000, North Olmsted’s residents live in a community reflecting over two centuries of development and change.